NOTICE: Beginning January 1, 2022, St. Joseph County will no longer be accepting new property address requests. All requests for a new property address must now be submitted to the your local Village or Township for processing. Existing Address Verifications can still be requested through the County GIS Department.
The GIS department verifies existing addresses and issues new addresses (via local Villages & Townships) to all rural properties in St Joseph County for E-911 purposes. In most cases you will need the new address or address verification before you can proceed with water, sewer or building permits.
To obtain a NEW address, you will need to provide your local Village or Township the following information (scans or clear pictures of documents are acceptable):
- A drawing, site plan, or survey reasonably depicting the location of the structure to be addressed in terms of side-yard and front-yard setbacks. Also include the primary access or driveway location where it meets the road.
- A parcel identification number (PIN) or Tax ID if possible (example: 75-042-110-113-01).
- Indicate the purpose for the new address (new residential construction, remodeling, commercial, irrigation, utility, etc)
- Addresses are issued to property owners only or those legally working on their behalf.
To obtain an Existing Address Verification, you will need to provide the following information directly to the County GIS Department:
- The existing address to be verified
- A parcel identification number (PIN) or Tax ID if possible.
- Indicate the purpose for the address verification (new addition, remodeling, commercial, irrigation, utility, etc)
- For a NEW Address: Contact your local Village or Township.
- For an Existing Address Verification: Contact the Geographic Information Systems/Addressing office at (269) 467-5543 or via the “Send eMail” link on this page.
- Be sure to also provide your name, phone and contact information when applying for an address.