DURING THE CURRENT COVID-19 OUTBREAK, ADDRESSES WILL BE ISSUED OR VERIFIED BY EMAIL OR USPS MAIL ONLY. COUNTER SERVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE.
The GIS department verifies existing addresses and issues new addresses to all rural properties in St Joseph County for E-911 purposes. In other words, if you are about to build or remodel a home or business, and your property is not within the corporate limits of a City or Village, you will need to communicate with our office to obtain or verify your address. In most cases you will need the new address or address verification before you can proceed with water, sewer or building permits. Addressing is a FREE service of St Joseph County.
To obtain a NEW address, you will need to provide the following information (scans or clear pictures of documents are acceptable):
- A drawing, site plan, or survey reasonably depicting the location of the structure to be addressed in terms of side-yard and front-yard setbacks. Also include the primary access or driveway location where it meets the road.
- A parcel identification number (PIN) or Tax ID if possible (example: 75-042-110-113-01).
- If the parcel was split from a larger parcel, a copy of the split approval from the local government is necessary. If a survey was required for split approval you will need to present a copy for addressing.
- Indicate the purpose for the new address (new residential construction, remodeling, commercial, irrigation, utility, etc)
- Addresses are issued to property owners only or those legally working on their behalf.
To obtain an Existing Address Verification or Address Re-issue, you will need to provide the following information:
- The existing address to be verified
- A parcel identification number (PIN) or Tax ID if possible.
- Indicate the purpose for the address verification (new addition, remodeling, commercial, irrigation, utility, etc)
- Contact the Geographic Information Systems/Addressing office at (269) 467-5543 or via the “Send EMail” link on this page. You will then be provided instructions on where to send your Address application documents.
- Be sure to also provide your name, phone and contact information when applying for an address.
- Address Application are accepted Monday-Thursday 8:00-4:30. We typically process address applications very quickly, but please allow up to 24-48 hours to process your request.