You are here: Government > County Clerk - Register of Deeds > Passport Information

Passport Information

For Complete information about passports please visit:
U.S. Department of State - Passport Application
or call our office at (269) 467-5552.

Passports are by appointment only.

St. Joseph County Passport Processing Information

Normal passport processing time is 8-11 weeks. If your travel plans do not allow this amount of time, it is recommended that you expedite your passport, this will take 5-7 weeks from when the Passport Agency receives the application.

If your travel plans are within 14 days you will need to make arrangements with the Passport Agency for an immediate issue by calling (312)-341-6020.

You Will Need the Following Items to Apply for a Passport

  • Completed passport application
  • Proof of US Citizenship (certified birth certificate, naturalization certificate or an old US passport)
  • Must show valid picture identification (drivers license or Michigan State ID).
  • Two identical 2x2 inch passport photos required (white or light background). This can be taken at the Register of Deeds Office. The fee is $14.00.

New Passport Fees†

Passport Services Age 16 and Over Under Age 16 PHOTO Execution Fees
Passport Book $130.00 * $100.00 * $14.00 ** $35.00 **
Passport Card $30.00 * $15.00 * $14.00 ** $35.00 **

* check payable to "U.S. Department of State"
** cash, card, or money order to "St. Joseph County Register of Deeds"
† add $60.00 per application for Expedited Service. This price does not include urgent mailing or delivery service. This service must be arranged by the customer.

You may expedite your passport for an additional $60.00 per application

An additional overnight delivery fee can be paid at the time of the application is submitted of $18.32. (This fee is included with the passport book fee and made payable to the U. S. Department of State.)

Renewal Passport Fees

You may use the DS-82 form if you meet the following:

  • You can submit your most recent passport.
  • Your previous passport was issued on or after your 16th birthday.
  • Your previous passport was issued within the last 15 years.
  • You use the same name as on your most recent passport; or, you have had your name changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper documentation to reflect the name change.

You Will Need the Following Items to Renew Your Passport

  • Completed passport application
  • Your most recent U.S. Passport
  • A marriage certificate or court order if your name has changed
  • Two recent passport photographs with a light, plain background and taken within the last 6 months Passport processing fee of $110.00 in a check payable to "U.S. Department of State."