You are here: Courts & Law Enforcement > Friend of the Court > Questions (FAQ)
Contact Information:
  • PO Box 249
  • Centreville MI, 49032

  • Friend of the Court
  • 125 W. Main St.
  • Centreville MI, 49032
  • Courts' Building - Lower Level
  • Phone: (269) 467-5570
  • Toll Free Account Information:
    (877) 543-2660 (24 hours)
  • Fax: (269) 467-5579

Questions (FAQ)

Q: I have a specific parenting time schedule that I would like to change. What can I do?

A: The Friend of the Court offers the following services to parents to assist them with custody and parenting time issues:

  1. Consent Orders: If both parents agree that they want a change in their Court Order the Friend of the Court will assist them in developing an order that contains their agreement. This service is provided to Friend of the Court customers for a small charge.
  2. Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR):If parents recognize that they need assistance is resolving a parenting time dispute, the Friend of the Court offers ADR services. If both parties agree, they may schedule a joint meeting with a caseworker who is trained to assist parents in resolving parenting time disputes. ADR is a way to resolve your conflict without costly litigation. This service is provided free to Friend of the Court clients.
  3. Family Counseling: Some limited funds are available to provide counseling services to Friend of the Court customers. Counseling may be appropriate for parents as well as child.

Q: The other party is not following the parenting time order. What can I do?

A: File a written complaint with the Friend of the Court. If the Friend of the Court believes the Parenting Time Order has been violated, it shall start enforcement action. Do not call the police. The only time that the police should be called is if the child or the parties are in immediate danger. Calling the police for parenting time disputes is very traumatic for the child. Most law enforcement agencies do not become involved in settling custody and/or parenting time disputes and will only refer the parents to the Friend of the Court.

Q: I am concerned that my child(ren) are being abused when with the other parent. What should I do?

A: Report your concerns to the Protective Services unit of the Department of Human Services. You may also wish to provide, in writing, a copy of the your concerns to your Friend of the Court office so that they may be a part of your file. The Friend of the Court office, however, does not, by law, have the authority to investigate and remove children in abuse or neglect matters. This is done by Protective Services through your local Juvenile Branch of Family Court.

Q: My child does not want to engage in parenting time with the other parent. What can I do?

A: Parents are to obey Court Orders, regardless of the child's age. It is the parents responsibility to promote a positive relationship with the child and the other parent.

Q: The other parent is not paying support as ordered. What can I do?

A: Contact the Friend of the Court for enforcement if support is one month overdue. You may also contact an attorney to start enforcement action.

Q: My court order states I am to pay support through the Friend of the Court. Can I pay the other parent directly?

A: No. Not without a change in your Court Order and having that Order filed with a Court Clerk. If you fail to do so, you might not receive credit for the payment.

Q: Is the Friend of the Court responsible for making sure the child support money is being spent on the children?

A: No. The law does not give anyone the authority to verify how child support payments are being spent.

Q: Where can I get support payment information?

A: By calling the account information line (IVR) at: 1-877-543-2660 or by registering online at the MICase webside at:

Q: When do support charges stop?

A: Support charges through the end of the month the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever is last.

Q: We have joint legal custody. The other party is constantly changing the child’s school and not informing me of doctor appointments. Can the FOC help?

A: The FOC does not enforce joint legal custody issues. Joint legal custody includes important decisions affecting the children (health, medical, education, and religion). You may want to ask the other parent to participate in counseling with you so that these issues can be discussed. Otherwise, you can file a motion requesting the court to enforce the joint legal custody provision. Consultation with an attorney is advised.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to call the Friend of the Court office at (269) 467-5570.